Fort Jesus is located on Mombasa Island. it was built between 1593 and 1596, by order of King Philip of Portugal; to guard the Old Port of Mombasa.
Fort Jesus was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2011 and highlighted as one of the most outstanding and well-preserved of 16th-century Portuguese military fortifications.
The Fort's layout and form reflected the Renaissance ideal that perfect proportions and geometric harmony are to be found in the human body. The property covers an area of 2.36 hectares and includes the fort's moat and immediate surroundings.